
After a brief review of today's paper, it becomes evident to me that November the Sixteenth is going to be another brick in the wall. It seems as though humanity is becoming more and more determined to commit social seppuku on a mass scale. In a very peculiar way I get the feeling that everyone is on some level cognizant that we are really going to fuck things up this time. Perhaps it is only the hyper-consumers in bourgeois societies around the globe that are truly involved, I don't presume to know. Seeing as how the aforementioned world is the only one I've ever known, I thus have a tendency to consider it the only one around. My point in all this is that even the manner in which I've been trained to think is a pivotal part of this ephemeral problem. My statement earlier that 'today is going to be another brick in the wall' is typical of the western conception of history. That is to say, associating ourselves so much with the mistakes of the past that we view present society as unavoidable, and even self justifying. Occasionally people get greedy or desperate enough to use our latent genius to acquire some material thing we individually or collectivley want, but the epic imagination of man seems lost in this mental wilderness of our own creation. By the progress of technology in the past few decades we see not an improvement of culture, but quite the opposite. The nature of laissez-faire economics is to not withhold any invention-excepting of course those various state commissioned weapons of ever increasing lethality. Throughout history we see countless examples of inventions, and revolutionary thought in general, making or breaking civilizations. I think it is clear that the world is becoming more aware of itself daily, and consequently people are in some indefinable way entering into a collective sense of global consciousness. I can never think ill of this trend. However, by putting all our proverbial eggs in one basket, these inventions will make or break the human population on earth. Personally I firmly believe that the potential for success always outweighs that of failure; and yet I can't help getting a feeling of impending doom. Deeply do I hope that this is just the result of what I previously dubbed the 'western conception of history'. That despite all evidence to the contrary, mankind is entering into an era that will outshine all that has come before and that the collective imagination of the world will break with all the destructive proclivities of the past, thus helping us all to become more harmonious. My trained western mind is screaming for me to be pragmatic. Consider all the previous follies of mankind and don't get your hopes up it howls. And it is that kind of thinking, ladies and gentlemen, that constitutes the entire problem with this mental wilderness that has taken root. A lack of imagination, and the accompanying dose of hope, predetermines failure. It is what I would call in academic jargon, a self substantiating perception of reality. To illustrate it in a different way- sure, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. But if you insist on telling it that the water tastes like shit and is going to give it dysentery then who is ever going to want to drink?...
1 comment:
"associating ourselves so much with the mistakes of the past that we view present society as unavoidable, and even self justifying" -- I think that just about sums up many things in the world right now, including (sad to say) myself... Thanks for the platform from which to fall...
Post a Comment