Friday, May 04, 2007

Satellites Delight the Not So Bright

"Power without perception is spiritually useless, and thus of no true value."
-Fist of the Northstar
As I was gazing at the evening sky tonight no less than a half dozen satellites caught my eye. Graceful and swift they follow their predetermined orbits, sending and receiving massive amounts of human gibberish for the benefit of those here on earth that can afford to enjoy such luxuries. I wonder what Konstantin Tsiolkovsky would think if he could see where his brilliance has led us. One positive thing is that it sort of makes earth look like the nucleus of an atom, instead of just being a lonely marble in space, which on some level is sort of cool. I for one tend to side with Thoreau's observation that having something worthwhile to say is a natural prerequisite to having the means to say it. This amazing technology is used primarily for entertainment and military purposes, not to communicate messages of any intrinsic value. It also enables people the world over to have strange devices stuck in their ears all day so they can talk to what I presume are other people, but could just as easily be soliloquies of how insane human behavior has really gotten. Why do people love technology that makes what is far seem near and what is near seem insignificant? All the technology that I've seen developed and utilized in my time here seems to have the end result of just making people more detached from reality, more ready to believe absurdities, and in all ways measurable, just plain stupid. Just to be fair I freely acknowledge that this could very well be a necessary step that will end in us reaching critical mass in terms of communication and that humanity will become utterly harmonious when we get several billion people all speaking the same language who are empowered to text message and send out e-mails affordability, but the opposite seems far more likely to me. The opposite being that we are just engaging in another full fledged effort to somehow insulate ourselves from the dubiousness of our whole enterprise- Pyramids of Giza right down to the present. I still can't help but think that satellites are rather aesthetically pleasing from down here on earth. They seem to personify that desire for order, form and function that mankind seems to yearn for beneath the armor of our clumsy civilization. Perhaps having the ability to say anything will lead towards something significant being said and heard. Sort of a cart before the horse scenario, I know, but I'd rather see it that way than think of us as some criminally insane species hell bent on petulance and power.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This entry proves that sometimes technology does allow significant ideas to be shared. I love the poetry of your gazing at the night sky,and thanks to good old Konstantin,I am able to read,smile,and appreciate your thoughts this morning from my spot by the creek. Quality will always stand out from the gibberish if we have learned to recognize it. Whether from literature,nature or dreams;the thoughtful person can take that recognition and share it. That's what good teaching is and what good writing is,at least to me.
Nice entry!