Thursday, February 28, 2008

Another Day in the Empire

Every now and again I feel compelled to share some news stories that really stand out from the doldrums of post-industrial capitalism in this foul year of our Lord 2008. The first is vintage Bush going off about the need for more surveillance legislation; at his most emphatic and pretentious (click here). The second is some of the best writing ever from my favorite news source, The Onion, discussing how Bush has vowed to 'make it up' to the country in the closing months of his tenure as Fuhrer of the Fourth Reich (click here). The last is one of a much less amusing sort. It came out today that 1 out of every 100 adult males in these United States is now incarcerated at a jail or a prison. That number speaks for itself to such an extent that I don't even feel there is anything to say, other than sodomy rates must be higher here than in any other time in history (click here). I'm seriously wishing I was religious in these wild times. I know of no other language to describe the madness that has descended upon this earth except the eloquently epic language of the Vedas, Torah, Bible, Qu'ran or Sutras.
The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. -Psalms 9:17
Fear Not. What is not real, never was and never will be. What is real, always was and cannot be destroyed. -Bhagavad Gita
All know the Way, but few actually walk it. -Bodhidharma
The ink of the scholar and the blood of a martyr are of equal value in heaven. -Quran
The inhabitants of the earth are of two sorts:Those with brains, but no religion, and those with religion, but no brains. -Abu'l-`Ala' al-Ma`arri

No comments: