Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Downward Spiral


I can only say this about this world, it gives you something to think on. It took me a while to realize the bottomless depth of this world and that it is clearly beyond all comprehension. I admire it for this trait, it makes me feel that I can truly enjoy the impossibility of it all without having to feel too guilty about not taking it all that seriously. And how can you take it seriously? We live in a place that makes of contradictions and irony the very basis of our existence. Even my half-assed attempt at unlocking the riddles of reality has damn near driven me mad on several occasions, so those who really dig to the deeps must surely suffocate from lack of sanity.
Still, I have nothing else to do, so I give it a whirl and transcribe my thoughts in the hope that one day this brain that I have thrown down the infinite pit will strike the fabled bottom and I will hear the echo of its crash, smiling with satisfaction and wisdom. For now however, I just look at this place and think, 'what a bunch of silly, stupid shit'. The 1% making their billions off the demanding desire of the demented. The people who think they can sit in a park day after day in a city built by Capitalism, having been suckled at its teat their entire lives, and call it dissent. People fighting for freedom from dictatorship in Syria and Egypt hopelessly stranded in a geopolitical scene that sees no benefit in helping them and a tradition of violence that condemns them to brutal repression. All the while the business of providing goods to the world pillages and plunders a wounded planet to fill the countless freighters and trucks so this system of materialism can deliver the goods for just one more day.
I don't pretend that there has ever been a reason for anything humanity has done, but these days it's hard to see the purpose of holding out hope that we will ever figure out a way to change ourselves. This fantastical flurry of ferociousness doing all it can to render unto the multitude that is squirming and screaming for more is all we can expect. No sign of restraint nor hope for repentance. It's all too brutal to believe, but too clear to deny. Still I feel immense sorrow for every struggling soul out there trying to cope with things by challenging authority. The real goal should be to challenge ourselves to live in a manner that doesn't require us to depend upon anything or anyone but ourselves. In my mind, the most revolutionary act possible in our world is to not need or want anything that we cannot provide for ourselves. If we cannot accomplish this no amount of Occupying or toppling of autocratic governments can fundamentally alter the fact that we are dependent upon empowered others for our existence, and thus by definition not free.
"Don't let it bring you down, its only castles burning. "-Neil Young
"You cannot see the future with tears in your eyes." -Navajo Proverbs

No comments: