Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Swaying in the wind

"One impulse from a vernal wood
may teach you more of man
Of moral evil and of good
than all the sages can."
-Woodsworth
Always good to remind myself that I am only approaching true knowledge, or truth as some call it, when I start to realize that my ideas and opinions are just the wind that blows through the branches of my mind. I was raised around far more trees than people, and if I am grateful of anything in my life, it is this. As the tree grows stronger, the more weathered my bark becomes and the deeper my roots go, the easier it is to just let the wind howl.
How ferociously it does wail though. This has been a mighty year in the annals of human hysterics. As is always the case, I am impressed that more people didn't die and that the planet hasn't suffered a complete environmental collapse; which I reckon is good. Surely won't be much longer before our 7 billion strong species is visited once more by our longtime travelling companions of war, famine and plague. Probably best to just enjoy the interregnum and not feel too guilty about the ease with which I can live, for this too shall surely end.
The centuries since Capitalism's development have been fascinating, and if nothing else have given me the means to record my thoughts and share them with perhaps a billion people with little effort. Someone told me lately that humans are something nature has to live with and capitalism is something humans have to live with. I think this is a good way of looking at it. After much internal turmoil I have settled comfortably into my role as historian and human, no longer feeling the need to worry about the fate of all things. It is enough for me now to just to watch and learn. Perhaps this year I will finally master these symbiotic skills of observation and contemplation to finally become a truly tall tree.

All I can know is what the world does show
The more I grow, the more the wind does blow

No comments: