Friday, February 22, 2013

Apathetic Apologetic Anesthetic

"He has strangled his language in tears" -Shakespeare Henry VIII
As the years of my life pass a feeling of acceptance settles into my consciousness. I never thought that one day it would be possible for me to acquiesce to such absurdities as this world consists of, but it seems to be happening. More than once people would respond to my diatribes and discourse with a far off look in their eyes, followed by some paraphrasing of 'you will grow out of it'. It never once occurred to me that they might be right, that my passion too would be subsumed by acceptance. There was a point where the more I learned about human behavior and history the more I felt certain that there was no way for me to live passively in such a situation, yet here I am, almost 30 and becoming benumbed.
Such seems to be a common occurrence among us moderns. If anything is killing humanity it is surely apathy. Not exactly a new development, really been just amplified by there being more people on the planet. Positioned by fate as I am, the view from these eyes has witnessed a level of abject indifference that seemingly has no limit. I used to think this was something refered to as doublethink (see this entry) but have now concluded it comes from a lack of precision diction. People can't express themselves, so they can't think clearly, so no ones says anything and shit just rambles on like a drunk hobo looking for a train. You can't question without a quest, so I think this one shall be mine for a time. Language is the coolest thing we have going for us, regardless of which you use. Yet it seems all too common in my ears to hear people trudge painfully through a sentence with words that fail to satisfy. Orwell commented on English being in a bad way over half a century ago, and this tongue has only gotten more tongue tied (ankyloglossia amnesia I shall call it). The lingo isn't fit for a dingo, and yet this shit spreads over the world and the seven seas like a damn disease. Maybe we tried to build the tower of babel and comedian Creator had to have the last joke, so in our brains he blew a shitload of smoke.
To be fair, I must concede that if you look over the my 230 posts you'll find I'm writing a pretty gargantuan amount of bullshit, but at least I expressed myself. It is incomprehensible to me that some people these days probably go their whole lives without ever being able to properly portray what they thought on any given day. What a fucking temporal tragedy to me. But in this world of starvation, drones, shopping malls, strip mines, wind chimes and crazy rhymes I suppose that's just the way she goes...

No comments: